Monday, September 27, 2010

"How is fatherhood?"

That is a question that a friend asked in a recent email.  It's a question I have heard at least 437 times a week since having Alaina.  I usually respond with something along the lines of "man, it's tiring, but it's great."  It gets the point across, and it gets me through the question so I can get onto other inquiries such as "are you getting any sleep?" and "she doesn't really look like you, are you sure she's yours?"

Come on, Dad.  Get your act together.
But if I'm going to be honest, I'm really more somewhere in the neighborhood of...

"Fatherhood pretty much scares me out of my mind."

I mean seriously.  What the heck Lizzy and I get ourselves into?  I don't know how to discipline.  I'm way too immature to be a good role model.  I can barely change a diaper.  99% of me is sure that I'm going to fail miserably.

A couple weeks ago, I was listening to our setlist for Sunday morning at Cumberland.  We were singing a couple of really cool hymns, including In Christ Alone. Man, that song has some powerful lyrics.
And as He stands in victory
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me
For I am His, and He is mine
Bought with the precious blood of Christ
...
No power of Hell, no scheme of man
Can ever pluck me from His hand
'Til He returns or calls me home
Here in the power of Christ I'll stand
What a fantastic reminder of who I am.  And of where my guidance / help / power / provision comes from.  There will not be one moment of fatherhood where I will be alone.  I don't have to be Dad by myself.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Kyle, that's great encouragement. So true, we really have no idea what we're doing, but all we can do is follow the example that Christ set.

    ReplyDelete